All students joining the school are allocated to one of the six houses; Davies, Edlmann, Lester, Staff, Townshend or Williams. The house system allows all students from Year 7 to Year 13 to feel a sense of belonging. It provides an opportunity across a broad range of activities and competitions to develop character, confidence and leadership skills. Each pupil, whatever their age, is encouraged to participate. Pupils develop a strong commitment to their house and teammates.
At the end of the year, there is a whole school assembly which celebrates the successes of the house activities and a trophy is presented to the house that has accrued the greatest number of points.
History of the Houses at Chis & Sid
When the school first opened eighty years ago there were initially four houses, simply called A, B, C and D. Houses E and F were added a few years later in 1937. These names were used until the school moved to its current Hurst Road site.
In 1954 during his final year as Headmaster Dr. McGregor Williams announced that the six Houses, previously known by letters would be renamed after benefactors of the school:
A House: Davies
B House: Edlemann:
C House: Williams
D House: Staff
E House: Townshend
F House: Lester
The new names were adopted to honour the members of the first governing body of the school. As there were only four members of the body the fifth house is believed to be named in memory of a boy who passed away around the time and the sixth house was named to collectively honour the school's teachers.
The houses were organised by W. H. Freeman - the master in charge of Games. The house to which a boy was assigned was determined by where he lived, in the hope that this would ease the transition from primary school and help boys to make new friends who lived near to them, however the school no longer applies this method to allocate houses.
Who will be successful this year?
House points year runs from Easter to Easter
Additional information on the houses:
Possibly named after a boy “Davies” who died young around this time
House colour: Red
Named after Councillor Colonel F. J. F. Edlmann, the first Chairman of Governors
House colour: Dark Green
Named after Mr H. J. Lester, J.P. the Chairman of the Governors at the time
House colour: Purple
One can only assume that this house was named in honour of the teaching staff at the school
House colour: Yellow
Named after Mr H. S. Marsham-Townshend who presented twenty-three acres at Crittals Corner to the school in 1939.
House colour: Dark Blue
Named after Dr. C. R. McGregor Williams, the first Headmaster
House colour: Light Blue